Community Foundation of Elkhart County invests $2,102,822 in Elkhart County
October 23, 2020
ELKHART, Indiana – The Community Foundation of Elkhart County’s Board of Directors approved $2,102,822 of new and multi-year grants to dozens of nonprofits and programs throughout Elkhart County.
The grants were given in the categories of placemaking, kids and families, and career pathways, reflecting the priorities of the Community Foundation.
“Even in this challenging era, we are able to partner with nonprofits in our region who serve Elkhart County to build our community,” said Candy Yoder, Chief Program Officer. “Our committees, staff and board are working with others to build more and improved pathways in our community.”
The grants awarded between July and mid-October are:
Placemaking grants totaling $267,000
- Elkhart County Parks, $64,000, OxBow County Park wetland exploration boardwalk
- Elkhart County Redevelopment Commission, $100,000, Prairie Creek Run water utility project
- Potawatomi Zoo, $100,000, Giraffe Feeding Adventure
- One grant of $25,000 or less totaled $3,000
- Fulfillment of multiyear and challenge grant commitments made previously totaled $765,000
Kids and Families grants totaling $971,935
- Child And Parent Services (CAPS), $150,000 (first year of a three-year commitment), primary prevention expansion
- Elkhart County Clubhouse, $100,000 (first year of a three-year 1:1 challenge grant), Elkhart Clubhouse expansion
- Jefferson Community Church, $150,000, Community activity center
- REAL Services, $30,000, Elkhart County Meals on Wheels
- Church Community Services, $60,000 (first installment of $100,000, two-year grant), Latinx Outreach
- Reason Enough To Act (RETA), $350,000 (first year of a three-year commitment), building support via 1:1 challenge
- Women’s Care Center, $98,000, operating support
- Five grants of $25,000 or less totaled $33,935
- Fulfillment of multiyear and challenge grant commitments made previously totaled $1,781,250
Career Pathways grants totaling $477,272
- enFocus, $50,000, talent attraction and civic innovation
- Ivy Tech Foundation, $24,554, nursing expansion project
- University of Notre Dame, $75,361 (first year of a two-year commitment), Center for Civic Innovation Internships
- Tolson Center, $250,000 (first year of a two-year commitment), Tolson Center Capital Project
- Five grants of $25,000 or less totaled $77,357
- Fulfillment of multiyear and challenge grant commitments made previously totaled $831,179
Opportunity Fund totaling $386,615
- South Bend Elkhart Regional Partnership support, $100,000
- Indiana Golf Foundation, $200,000, capital project
- 24 grants for sponsorships and memberships, $86,615
Donors gave $35.6 million to the Foundation during the fiscal year 2019-20, which ended June 30. That along with $11.3 million of investment returns increased the total assets, after costs and grant awards, from $302 million to $315 million. Nearly half of the endowment funds (48 percent) are restricted, meaning they are part of funds that have stipulations or are directed by donors, trusts or scholarship requirements. The other 52 percent are unrestricted with which staff or volunteer committees can respond to grant applications.
The Foundation was able to award a total of $35.1 million in grants during the fiscal year from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. Of those:
- $16.0 million was from donor-advised funds administered by the Foundation, but directed by those who established them with their generosity.
- $2.6 million was in scholarships, including those funded by Lilly Endowment Inc.
- $9.0 million was given from the Fund for Elkhart County, including $2.8 million in the area of kids and families, $2.1 million in the area of placemaking, and $2.2 million in the area of career pathways.
Grant requests are reviewed by staff and volunteer committees comprised of a diverse range of community members who are engaged with their respective sectors and make every effort to be aware of emerging and ongoing initiatives. Staff members can make decisions on grants of $25,000 or less and the board of the Community Foundation of Elkhart County approves all grants.