We are part of the unfolding story of generosity in Elkhart County
We believe the Community Foundation resembles the unique traits of the distinctive ginkgo tree. The ginkgo has a strong root system and resembles strength and hope to those who recognize it – inspiring good. Its leaves have been used for remedies, just as the Community Foundation strives to support nonprofits and various endeavors that improve the health of our community, our businesses, and our people – impacting success.
Mission and Values
- Mission: To improve the quality of life in Elkhart County by inspiring generosity.
- Values: The Community Foundation is committed to the following as essential to our effectiveness. We aspire to reflect the following values as we serve the community:
- Integrity: An abiding pledge to honesty, professionalism, humility, and respect.
- Inclusion: We seek and elevate diverse voices. We are most impactful when our organization and deliberations include people from varied backgrounds, opinions, and perspectives.
- Excellence: In our every endeavor.
- Collaboration: We believe in teamwork, both internally and externally. We desire to be trusted partners with community members, civic leaders, and not-for-profit organizations to provide high-impact programs and services benefitting the broadest possible constituency.
Your community at a glance
(1989 - 2017)
- Mid-1980's: While vacationing in Naples, Florida, Oscar Schricker observed people being approached for financial contributions by the local community foundation. As the Elkhart County resident thought about the abundant wealth in Elkhart County, he and a friend, Jim McNamee, began talking about the possibility of forming a community foundation in our county.
- 1989: After a generous donation from Dr. John Foreman, the Elkhart County Community Foundation was founded.
- 1989: Bill Myers named founding president of the Elkhart County Community Foundation.
- 2000: W. Earl Taylor named second president of the Community Foundation after the retirement of Bill Myers.
- 2006: In August, founding member Wilbert (Bill) Budd died at the age of 93 and endowed the Community Foundation with $7.3 million the following year.
- 2011: Pete McCown becomes president of the Community Foundation after the retirement of W. Earl Taylor.
- 2011: Legacy Society member David Gundlach died unexpectedly at the age of 56.
- 2012: Following his death, the Community Foundation received news of an end-of-life gift from Gundlach, with a gift of more than $150 million.
- 2015: Following a multi-year listening tour, the Community Foundation rebrands as Community Foundation of Elkhart County.
- 2019: Acts of Service joins Community Foundation family.
- 2020: Assets total more than $300 million.
Other Community Facts
- 1829: Immigrants from New England began settling in Elkhart Prairie, land that was inhabited by Potawatomi tribe.
- 1830: Elkhart County officially established with Dunlap as the original county seat.
- 1841: Amish settlers come to Elkhart and LaGrange counties.
- 1876: C.G. Conn begins selling patented cornets and Elkhart becomes known for producing world-class band instruments.
- 1930s: Entrepreneurs build first recreational vehicles and Elkhart County becomes RV Capital of the World.
- 1965: Tornadoes on Palm Sunday, including a twin tornado, kill 66 in Elkhart County.
- 2012: Elkhart County rebounds from the Great Recession and continues its excellence as a manufacturing hub.
Founding donors are those individuals or organizations that contributed $50,000 or more from the inception of the Foundation through June 30, 1995. The ongoing support of Lilly Endowment Inc. has also contributed greatly to the resources we have to fulfill our mission. We are deeply grateful to our founding donors and Lilly Endowment Inc.
- Bashor Children’s Home
- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Goshen Foundation
- Mr. and Mrs. Wilbert H. Budd
- First Congregational Church
- Mr. and Mrs. Thomas H. Corson
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert Deahl
- Mr. and Mrs. Arthur J. Decio
- The Decio Family (Terrence, Jamee, Lindy, Reilly, Jay, and Leigh)
- Sherrill and Helen Deputy Family
- Elkhart County Council on Aging
- Elkhart County 4-H
- Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Fidler
- Dr. and Mrs. John Foreman
- Mr. and Mrs. Clinton Hartman
- Mr. F.L. Hascall
- Goshen College
- Goshen Rotary Club Scholarship Endowment
- Greencroft Foundation
- Gunden Family
- Paul and Joyce Hultin Family Endowment
- LaCasa of Goshen
- Lilly Endowment, Inc.
- Mervin D. Lung Family
- Martin Foundation
- Mr. and Mrs. Frank Martin
- Mr. William F. Martin
- Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Naquin
- Northridge High School Dollars for Scholars
- Oaklawn Foundation
- Mrs. Lee A. Rieth
- Ms. Martha Reith
- Mr. and Mrs. Marly Rydson
- Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Sailor
- Salvation Army of Elkhart
- Mr. and Mrs. Dan Sherman
- Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Schricker
- Ina L. Strasser Endowment
- Trinity United Methodist Foundation
- Mr. and Mrs. Basil S. Turner
- United Way of Elkhart County
- Mr. and Mrs. Richard VanDerKarr
- Maynard W. Wells Family
- YMCA/YWCA Joint Community Project
Community Foundation Staff Presidents:
2011 – Present: Pete McCown
2000-2011: W. Earl Taylor
1989-1999: Bill Myers
Our PeoplePresident and Operations
Pete McCown President Pete@InspiringGood.org
Tressa Huddleston Executive Assistant/Office Manager Tressa@InspiringGood.org
Cole Patuzzi Chief Financial Officer Cole@InspiringGood.org
Dallis Miller Controller Dallis@InspiringGood.org
Benjamyn Wieler Staff Accountant Benji@InspiringGood.org
Jodi Spataro Chief Advancement Officer Jodi@InspiringGood.org
Carrie Berghoff Donor Engagement Specialist Carrie@InspiringGood.org
Marshall V. King Director of Communications & Marketing Marshall@InspiringGood.org
Liz Stoutenour Hospitality & Event Coordinator Liz@InspiringGood.org
Jane Troup Donor Services Coordinator Jane@InspiringGood.org
Ashley Jordan Director of Acts of Service Ashley@InspiringGood.org
Leah Benavente Project Manager for Acts of Service Leah@InspiringGood.org
Candy Yoder Chief Program Officer Candy@InspiringGood.org
Amanda Jamison Senior Program Officer Amanda@InspiringGood.org
Ray Caldwell Program Officer Ray@InspiringGood.org
Samantha Lambert Associate Program Officer Samantha@InspiringGood.org
Karla Copenhaver Grants Administrator Karla@InspiringGood.org
Janelle Pauls Scholarship Administrator Janelle@InspiringGood.org
Vonnie Trumble Associate Program Officer Vonnie@InspiringGood.org
The Community Foundation team members enjoy serving Elkhart County by responding to current and emerging community needs and providing efficient service to our donors, nonprofit organizations, volunteers and community. Team members are encouraged to be self-directed, motivated, highly professional and creative.
Whether you are applying for a full-time, part-time or internship position at the Community Foundation, please email a cover letter and current resume to Info@InspiringGood.org.
Our Board of Directors for 2020-21
David Findlay, Chair
Cien Asoera, Vice Chair
David Weaver, Treasurer
Deb Beaverson, Secretary