Mishler Brown Grant
Helen Mishler loved farming and preserving its heritage. In her estate, she made plans to preserve one of the oldest farms in Elkhart County. A cabin constructed in 1838 on five acres of land near Nappanee is still standing and Mishler assured that it will be preserved where it sits near a large ginkgo tree.
In addition to preserving her family’s homestead, she also established the Mishler Brown Fund as part of her legacy. The fund will honor her life by granting to nonprofits that work in agriculture and preservation.
Read more about Helen Mishler.
HOW TO APPLY
The Mishler Brown Fund grants to organizations or programs whose mission supports the interests of farming; agriculture; historic preservation of farms, barns and equipment; or preservation of natural resources. Organizations requesting grant funds must have 501(c)(3) designation in the United States, and are NOT required to reside in Elkhart County.
Exclusions to this grant include:
- Organizations without 501(c)3 status
- Organizations primarily engaged in lobbying or political activity
SIZE OF GRANTS
Available dollars from this grant will be awarded in individual, or multiple awards annually. We often make grants to multiple organizations in a single cycle. The most important consideration is that the size of your request is in line with the scope of the project you are proposing.
Applications for the first cycle are due December 31, 2022, will be evaluated in January 2023, and awarded thereafter.
A STRONG PROPOSAL ADDRESSES
- What do you want to do?
- Who needs it, and why?
- How will you measure progress/success of the project, and how will this be communicated to the Community Foundation of Elkhart County?
- If relevant, do you intend to secure sustained funding from another source? How can we partner with you to help you succeed at this step?
- How does your organization intend to use the funds? You may include a budget (.pdf, .doc, .xls) with your application to allow us to see your allotment of funds.
Once you have compiled the relevant information, you should complete the application form online. Your application will automatically be forwarded to Carrie Berghoff, our Chief Development Officer for review with the fund advisor.
If you have questions, please email Carrie.