Corporal Aaron L. Seal Memorial Scholarship
In Corporal Aaron Seal’s eyes, Iraqi children always were the most grateful for the U.S. military’s presence in their country. He delighted in the flash of a smile or a thumbs-up from a young child. In phone calls home to his family, he would tell his family it made his day when children were smiling. He would say, “This is why I’m over here – for the next generation”.
Sadly, On October 1, 2007 Corporal Aaron L. Seal, a 2001 Memorial High School graduate, gave his life for his country in the War on Iraq.
To help their son leave a legacy the Dunn family established this scholarship fund in his memory with the help of many donations from their community and a local fundraiser. Their goal is two-fold: to help other kids in pursuing their college education and to help the Dunn family keep Aaron’s memory alive.
- A resident of Elkhart County for a minimum of one year
- First-generation college student (Neither parent with whom the student resides has a Bachelor’s Degree)
- Students having attained Core 40 or Indiana Academic Honors Diploma or equivalent
- Graduating high school senior from either Elkhart Central, Elkhart Memorial, Concord or Jimtown
- Students planning to enroll in an accredited college or university intending to pursue a 4-year college degree completion program
Awards: One award is given every four years in the amount of $750 a year for each of four years for a total award of $3,000. This scholarship will be available in 2024 and every four years following.
Apply between January 1 and March 1, 2023.